Propono (Latin): to put or set forth, to set or lay out, to offer, to place before, expose to view, display, point out, declare, represent, report, say, relate, set forth, publish, etc.



Thoughts and posts on a wide variety of topics: current events, family, politics, religion, culture, academics, science, technology.



Propono, ergo sum?

Monday, June 06, 2005

Dean of Harvard Business School to Be New BYU-Idaho President

Wow. Dean Clark to assume presidency of BYU-Idaho. A big change in institutions. I predict he may be a future (the next?) President of BYU....

SALT LAKE CITY — Arguably one of the best minds in the business world will be taking the reins at Brigham Young University-Idaho after a long and illustrious career at Harvard University. Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, today announced the appointment of Kim B. Clark, dean of the Harvard Business School, as president of Brigham Young University-Idaho in Rexburg.

Dean of Harvard Business School to Be New BYU-Idaho President

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cambridge to Rexburg.... Big change, and I don't just mean in geography. BYU-I is lucky to get him.

5:51 PM

 
Blogger ghd3 said...

I've been thinking a lot this week about Dean Clark's move to BYU-I. While my first reactions were shock and some surprise, after a few days thinking more about it, I must admit that I think it is an incredibly admirable move. Here is a man, incredibly well respected in academic circles, topped many people's short lists to be the next president of Harvard University (Larry Summers got the job), and is Dean of one of the world's premier business schools. A man who could -- for the most part -- write his ticket and head just about anywhere he might want. And then he's asked by the leader of his church to head a small, transitioning, newly-four-year college in Rexburg, ID (BYU-Idaho was until recently a two-year school known as Ricks College), and he accepts and makes the move quickly. I think this is a powerful example of faith, willingness to be obedient and contribute to one's community, and to pitch in where one is asked. Latter-day Saints take seriously their obligations to the faith and to the community, and Dean Clark's willingness to make this move is, to me, a powerful example of humility, trust, and willingness to serve. BYU-I is fortunate to be receiving him, and while his future certainly remains bright (a BYU presidency down the road perhaps?), I believe he's making this move for all the right reasons, viz. faith and willingness to commit to something higher than one's self.

I'm reminded of the great old J. Reuben Clark story: "I am the gardener here...."

1:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home