Propono (Latin): to put or set forth, to set or lay out, to offer, to place before, expose to view, display, point out, declare, represent, report, say, relate, set forth, publish, etc.



Thoughts and posts on a wide variety of topics: current events, family, politics, religion, culture, academics, science, technology.



Propono, ergo sum?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Market Share

As you're likely aware, Microsoft's Windows desktop operating systems (e.g. Windows XP) enjoy a 95%-97% share of the personal computer (PC) market. That means Apple's Macintosh operating system (e.g. OS X) has approximately 3% of the market (there are also a handful of Linux variants outside of Mac's OS X that get a few points of share). Both operating systems are great and have genuine strengths. Fair enough.

Yesterday, I went with my wife and daughters to a nearby cupcake/coffee shop in Ballard called Cupcake Royale, one of our favorite spots. As with so many cute, hip Seattle coffee shops, the good food, inviting atmosphere, and free wi-fi brings out many of the young hip urbanites who, as near as I can tell, listen to music, surf the web, and/or are working on the next Great American Screenplay on their laptops. (I admit, I envy them, I'd love to sit in a nice shop all day and do the same -- though mine would be the Great American Novel, rather than the screenplay.) What struck me, though, was the dramatic lack of Windows-based PCs in the house. There were three. But there were no fewer than twelve laptops humming around the place, by my quick count. A small sample, to be sure, and not your typical worldwide audience, but that's 75% share for Macs, and 25% share for PCs. When I walked in I thought -- 'boy, you've got to own a Mac to hang out here.' But then I noted the two or three hipsters with their PCs as well.

They're both great OSs, and both can come on great machines. I was just interested that the PCs had such a limited slice of the Seattle coffee shop usage pie.

With Apple's turn to Intel's chipset archtecture, and Microsoft's release of Windows Vista (today), who knows what that market share, in a coffee shop or elsewhere, will look like down the road?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home